Voices for Global Change was founded at the end of 2004 by four international consultants with broad-based training and leadership experience and, perhaps most importantly, a passion for the possible.
VFGC was founded on the belief that when people who have had no voice, speak, they change their world. Our work supports and gives guidance to women, youth and any group that has been marginalized from full participation in the economic, political and social life of their communities and countries.
Through education, training and mentoring, we create awareness and understanding regarding the roles that individual citizens can play and the importance of each person’s “voice”. We work with citizen groups to develop the skills they need to participate more fully in civic life; we produce documentaries that profile the ways in which creativity and compassion—once expressed—enhance and illumine individual lives and benefit society.
We design interactive workshops, seminars, courses and entrepreneurial
initiatives to provide the tools and practical knowledge that enhance the ability of
people everywhere to craft new roles and new realities; and, throughout, we
celebrate and document the impact that self-recognition and expression can
have for those who once were silent.
What We've Achieved
- Provided training in community and media relations to 155 participants under our Ugandan Coalition for Peace project.
- Reinvigorated an orphanage for over 125 children under our Takeo Orphanage project
- Helped more than 125 women in Uganda raise their average income to four times the national average under our Paper to Pearls initiative.
- Based on our research, which is confirmed by United Nations statistics, we estimate that behind every beader, there are 30 people who benefit from the income she earns.
- According to the World Bank, the average annual income in Uganda is just US$340 or less than US$1.00 per day. Paper to Pearls beaders earn as much as US$120 per month.
- This income not only enables our beaders to buy more nutritious food for the families, have access to better health care and send their children to school, but also to have income to spend in their communities.
- From buying better sleeping mats for their huts to better clothes from themselves and their children, our beaders' income multiplies again and again as it moves out into the community.
Voices for Global Change believes strongly in partnering with individuals and organizations that have a similar mission and purpose. We continually look for opportunities to co-create and develop programs and projects that celebrate and uplift the human spirit. We welcome teaming arrangements.
Our past teaming partners have included Transnational Public Policy Advisors, LLC, International Purpose, Inc. and Kiva.
Voices For Global Change is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) corporation.